Hunting, fishing and collecting in the Lockhart River region is influenced by the seasonality of natural resources and weather. Some resources are highly seasonal and occur locally in particular habitats. Others are not particularly seasonally dependent, but access to them can be dramatically affected by seasonal weather conditions such as tides, turbidity and rainfall.
Just as understanding and managing country is critical to the way our people exploit these resources so, too, is our ability to protect the land and sea country.
Six seasonal periods recognised by Lockhart people
• Monsoonal rain period – February to April
• End of main rains – April to June
• Early dry seasons – June to August
• Dry season proper – September to November
• Impending storms – November to December
• Storm presaging the monsoon – December to February